Please read the letter about becoming a volunteer, you can then use the links below for information on the Virtus Protecting God’s Children Program.
This program is required to be completed by all school volunteers.
Protecting God’s Children Certification
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Please be advised that all volunteers are required to be Protecting God’s Children certified, which includes attending a Protecting God’s Children (PGC) Workshop, have an application on file, have passed a criminal background check, and signed the 2012 Archdiocese Code of Conduct. All required documentation must be on file in order to volunteer with children. This includes, and is not limited to all class parents, lunch volunteers, chaperones on class trips (whether on the bus or driving on your own), field day volunteers and children’s choir parent volunteers.
Any parent or guardian who wishes to volunteer and who has not attended a PGC workshop must sign up for a workshop and submit the required documentation in order to volunteer. Please make every effort to plan accordingly, allowing for enough time for clearance and approval status before the event, trip, field day, etc. I cannot guarantee PGC approval status for those who attend workshops and submit required documentation within a week or less of intending to volunteer. Parts of the approval process include processes beyond my control.
You must register to attend a Protecting God’s Children workshop. To sign up for a workshop:
- Go to www.virtus.org and follow the instructions for registration. (If you would want detailed step-by-step instructions please contact Elaine Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org and request the instructions.)
- During the registration process you will be asked to review and agree to abide with the Archdiocese of Newark Policies on Professional and Ministerial Conduct.
- You will also be asked to consent to a background check.
- Once you have attended the workshop you will receive a PGC certificate. Please keep a copy for yourself and send the original to my office.
- Upon receipt of your certificate, a Volunteer Application will be sent to you (or you may email email@example.com to have an Application emailed to you.) Please complete and sign it then return it to the school office.
- You will receive a formal letter once the entire process is complete and you are on the approved chaperone list.
Recertification options are 1 of the following:
1) Attend a live workshop every 3 years
- Go to www.virtus.org to register for a workshop
- Enter your user ID and password (Do not create a new username and password)
- If you forgot your username contact Karen Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once you have attended the workshop you will receive a PGC certificate. Please keep a copy for yourself and send the original to my office
2) Complete the online recertification module in Virtus every September (send the certificate of completion to my office for files).
With either option that you choose you must read the monthly articles published in Virtus. Please E mail Karen Clark to request monthly articles at email@example.com.
Files for active volunteers are reviewed annually by the Archdiocese of Newark. All files must be complete in order to be in compliance with the rules and guidelines established for Protecting God’s Children. Our audit report is due shortly and we must report our status.
- For those who established user IDs in Virtus and intend to volunteer with the children, and have not yet attended a live workshop, please register for a workshop and follow the steps on the previous page for new volunteers as soon as possible.
- For those who registered for a workshop, please be sure to submit all required documentation as soon as possible.
- If you are unable to continue to volunteer at this time and would like your status amended to “inactive” please send an email to me and I will modify your status in Virtus.
If you have any questions at all about the PGC process, please feel free to email Elaine Moran at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also check your Spam or Junk email folders regularly as some correspondence from Virtus does not make it to inboxes.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Ms. Elizabeth Pinto,
Principal Local Safe Environment Coordinator